Janome Zipper Foot Narrow Base, High Shank
Sewing on beads
Sometimes, it can be difficult to sew on beads that are already strung on a ribbon, but the narrow base zipper foot makes it easy, because you can adjust it to get very close to the edge of the ribbon. When you’re finished, you’ve got stitching so close to the edge of the ribbon, it doesn’t even show.
Using the Narrow Base Zipper Foot, you can easily make your own piping.
- Take a piece of bias tape, or a bias strip you’ve cut from your fabric, and fold it over cording.
- Attach the narrow base zipper foot to your machine
- Loosen the screw on the right and slide the foot to the right of the needle
- Position the covered cording so it’s against the foot, and sew down the length of the bias strip
You’ve created your own custom piping!
Installing a lap zipper
The flexibility of the narrow base zipper foot makes close sewing easy, as you’ll see when we install a lap zipper.
- By loosening the screw on the back, you can move the foot to either side of the needle, adjusting how close you’d like it to be.
- To install a lap zipper, first sew the seam where you’d like the zipper to be located
- Attach the zipper foot to your machine
- Loosen the screw, and move the foot to the right of the needle, and re-tighten
- Choose a straight stitch
- To first attach your zipper, position it teeth-down with the edge of the tape lined up with the seam allowance
- Align your project so the needle is in the middle of the zipper tape
- Sew all the way down the zipper
- Move the foot to the left side of the needle
- Turn the zipper over, and fold the edge of the fabric back to the edge of the teeth
- Sew a seam close to the edge of the fold
- Open up your fabric, and lay it flat
- Move the zipper foot to the right side of the needle, and sew a seam close to the zipper teeth
- When you’ve sewn the length of the zipper, remove the stitching on your original seam
And you now have a lap zipper installed. You can also use the narrow base zipper foot to install a centered zipper and an open-toothed design.